Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Seeking a Higher Power

One thing that has always seemed a mystery to me is going to church.  Growing up, my family never went.  Unlike most of my peers, I never attended Sunday school or got confirmed.  The older I got, the more insecure I felt.  I hated when my friends were going through confirmation because they would talk about it and I would do the whole smile and nod thing, having absolutely no idea what they were talking about.  I feel so uneducated and misinformed when it comes to church and God in general.
After my son was born, I felt like I was constantly, mainly by my husband's mother, being asked when he was going to get baptised.  I seriously put it off for as long as possible.  Not because I didn't want him baptised, but because I didn't even know where to begin.  Would I just call a church?  What if they asked a lot of questions?  One thing that was a major factor in my nervousness is that I was raised "Catholic".  In my eyes (and this is only my opinion, feel free to disagree), Catholic is the most strict religion.  I feel as though there is so much to remember and so many hoops to jump through that I got super overwhelmed every time I even thought about it.
My husband's grandparents attend a Methodist church in town and we had gone with them a couple of times to church.  One day, I went onto their website and emailed someone about getting Jett baptised.  She was so helpful and approachable that it almost felt like I was talking to a good friend.  We went through with getting him baptized and try to attend church as often as possible.  We don't make it every Sunday, but we do our best to get there. 
Every Wednesday, Lexy (the girl I originally talked to) sends out emails with information about the church.  Last week, in her email, it said something about classes coming up for new members if anyone was interested.  Right away, I knew this was something I wanted to do.  I wasn't sure how my husband would feel about it though.  Actually, I knew he wouldn't want to do it.  However, without giving him the time to talk me out of it, I replied to her email and said that we will be there.  There are 3 classes, about an hour and a half each.  I really hope that my hubby will be coming with me but if not, I am still going to do it on my own. 
So, I am excited to say that for the first time, at the age of 24, I am going to be a member of a church!  What does being a member all entail?  Does it require you to do things?  If so, what?  How often?  Are you required to 'donate' or pay money?  I have no answers to these questions.  However, I cant wait to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment