Friday, May 4, 2012

The Art of Styling Unruly Hair

First, before I begin this post, I have a little side note: I made this really cute brush holder last night :) It's similar to ones I've seen before on Pinterest, only better (in my opinion).  Plus, it was EXTREMELY easy to make!  I got the glass container at the dollar store.  Using a  hot glue gun, I attached a ribbon along the top.  Then, I stuck some rhinestones along the bottom.  I had leftover letters from my scrapbooking so I used those to spell out 'make up tool'.  I wanted it to say 'tools' but I didn't have the letter 's' so I had to settle with this.  I stuck the letter on with adhesive dots, found here.  They work really well for a variety of crafts, as they stick very well.  I originally filled the container with only the balls that are gel-like (these), only I found those at the dollar store.  However, after I stuck all my brushes in, they all flopped to the sides!  I added some glass balls that I had around the house.  They looked exactly the same as the others, only made with glass this time.  This provided a stronger base, to get my brushes to stand up.  Viola!  That's it!  How easy is that?! 
While I was looking for the correct letters, I realized I had the letters for the word 'hair'.  I want to find a larger jar and do the exact same thing for my hair brushes.  I looked at Walmart but I could find the right one.  They were either to short or not wide enough.  I'll have to keep my eyes peeled until I come across one!

Anyways, the purpose of this post was going to be to go over all the products I put into my hair.  Up until I graduated college, I never put product into my hair.  I didn't really understand the point of it.  I always thought 'I have so much hair, why would I want to add volumizer?!'  Well, here's why:  with product in, its not so limp around the crown and looks soo much better!! Yeah, I know, that wasn't very descriptive but I don't really know how to describe it other than fabulous!!


These are the products I put in my hair when I'm going to wear it curly.  I have naturally curly hair but its needs product in order to not look frizzy.
Left to right:
-Redken Fresh Curls Anti-Frizz Shiner Cream Serum (this product is unfortunately no longer available but there are many more like it)
- Redken Fresh Curl Boost (found here)
- AG Hair Mousse Gel (found here)

I start with the serum to tame the frizziness of my hair, and it also gives it a nice shine.  I apply a dime-sized amount to my entire head, starting with my roots and working it down the shaft of my hair.  I then liberally spray my hair with the redken curl boost.  After that, I split my hair in half (like if I was going to put it into pigtails).  I apply about a golf ball sized amount of the mousse gel to each side and scrunch it up with my fingers.  The most important thing I've learned about my hair is to not touch it too much.  The more I scrunch it, the frizzier it will get.  Therefore, I like to scrunch it while I put the mousse in but then leave it alone until its completely dry.  If I time (which is rare) after its dried, I will go over parts that didn't curl so well with my curling iron.  Like I said, I rarely do this and 99% of the time, it looks OK without that step.


These are the products I use in my hair when I straighten it or use rollers.
Left to right:

-It's a 10- miracle leave in conditioner (found here)
-aquage uplifting foam (found here)
-Moroccan Oil hairspray (found here)
-Moroccan oil (found here)
- Backcomb in a bottle (found here)
- kenra platinum blowdry spray (found here)

I know, I know, I put a lot of stuff in my hair.  Trust me though, its worth it! So, I start by putting 'its a 10' on my hair right after I get out of the shower.  I spray it liberally, aiming mostly at the ends, but also at the spots that look extremely knotted.  I actually put this in my hair every time I shower so it should have been in the other picture too, oops.  Then, I brush my hair with a large tooth comb.  When brushing wet hair,  you should never, ever use a paddle brush.  This will cause your hair to break, as its at its most brittle point at this stage.  Next, I apply aquage uplifting foam.  I part my hair but just above my right ear, spray the part, move up about 2 inches, spray the part, part my hair down the middle, spray the part, then repeat the sections on the left side of my head.  So I spray 5 times total.  Then, I lift a section of the hair in the back of my head and spray that area as well.  After I have as much as I want of it on my hair, I rub it into my scalp, almost like I'm shampooing it into my hair.  Next, I apply a very small amount of moroccan oil to the ends of my hair.  I love how soft this product has made my hair! 
The last thing I do before I blowdry my hair is spray it with blowdry spray, which smells amazing by the way!  I'm not sure if I'm convinced that it actually makes my hair blowdry faster or not, but I like the way it smells and it works as a heat protector as well.  I am convinced however, that a nice blowdryer will make my hair dry faster!  The blowdryers that you can find in stores like Target are 1875 watts.  The ones that can be purchased at hair stores, such as Ulta, or online at Amazon are 2000 watts.  More watts= more power, making it dry faster.  I personally like the Rusk Speedfreak, but I definitely recommend purchasing a 2000 watt hair dryer.  One thing I should add though: DO NOT dry your hair on the highest heat setting!!! This will cause extreme damage to your hair and completely dry it out!! When I dry my hair, I put it on the medium heat, high speed settings.  That's about the only plan when it comes to drying my hair, I don't have a certain technique.  Mainly, I'll alternate between flipping my head upside down and standing normally.  Once my hair is dry, I'll straighten it.  I don't put any products in my hair before I do this, although I probably should!
When I'm done with the straightening, I'll apply 'backcomb in a bottle' to the crown, under the top layer of hair.  I'll then use my teasing comb to give my hair a little bit of lift on the top.  Lastly, to finish off my hair, I'll spray it down with the hairspray.  This seems to help the humidity from getting to it and keeps my flyaways tamed. 
So that's it!  Kind of a long list of things to do, but totally worth it!!  What are the hair products that you swear by?? I'd love to know!
Have a fabulous Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment