Monday, April 30, 2012

Vanity

As promised, here is my post on my new vanity! In my opinion, its awesome.  However, I may be a bit biased.  I'll let you be the judge..


A little background info, I have the smallest house in the world.  With an even smaller bathroom.  The only thing big in our house is the bedroom.  I purchased a used desk online to put all my papers and laptop on and keep in my room.  However, my husband had the brilliant idea of turning it into a vanity.  Its perfect because I can neatly store all of my personal items on it, removing all the clutter from my bathroom. 
It was actually pretty simple to make so if you like the idea, I highly suggest you make your own!

The desk (I have no idea the style number, brand, etc) had a backing that was extremely thin so the first thing we did was screw a thicker piece of plywood behind it.  We did this so that it would be strong enough to hold the mirror.  We found a $12 mirror at Menard's that is meant for above a sink.  Its nice because its extremely simple, like we were looking for, but opens to provide a little bit more storage.  We also found a strip light there for around $20.  I really like that the light turns on when you touch a sensor, so its really easy to turn on in the dark!  Its centered above the mirror to give me plenty of lighting when applying my makeup.  On the right side, the desk has a long door with 2 shelves behind it.  We put a power strip on the bottom shelf so I could hide all my cords but still be able to plug them in.  The top shelf holds my rollers and brushes while the bottom is home to my curling iron, straightener, and blow dryer.  For now, my make-up sits on the keyboard drawer.  I don't really like it in that spot but it works for now.  On the shelving behind the mirror I keep the things I use daily (deodorant, face lotion, makeup remover, etc).  There are a couple slots that would normally hold Cd's.  This is where I keep my headbands and a few other random pieces.  On the desk itself I have a bin holding my hair products and a holder for makeup brushes.  Oh I almost forgot! Along the sides of the mirror, we put hooks to hang my necklaces!





































Top:  Everything is a little hard to see but I wanted a picture showing the light above the mirror
Bottom:  I opened the doors so you could get the full effect

No comments:

Post a Comment