Monday, April 16, 2012

Add a little sparkle!!

I have a ton of clothes.  I may even have (gasp!) too many clothes.  But the thing is, I have some clothes in my closet that I have had for at least 5 years.  I just cant bring myself to throw them away.  I always think 'well someday I will wear that'.  However, I have come to the conclusion that if I can only see myself wearing something for a specific occasion, it needs to go.  The first thing I did to organize my clothes a little better was have my fiance go through my closet.  Initially, this seemed like a nightmare.  Now he would know all the clothes I really have!!  And he would see that some of them even still have the tags on them!  However, I had a theory.  We have lived together for a year and a half and have dated off and on for a course of over 5 years so I figured, if he's never seen me wear something, it was time to donate it!  He pulled out about 20 tops that haven't been worn in forever and a few that he said "you should never wear this".  Apparently we have different tastes in fashion!
My sister, who is the most fabulous person I've ever met, came to stay with me for about a month last summer when Jett was born.  One thing that she pointed out was that I have a TON of solid colored t-shirts.  She pointed out that while I had all these plain shirts, I didn't really have anything that was patterned!  So, since then, I have been trying to go out of my comfort zone and purchase clothes that have some sort of pattern or design on them.  I've caught myself a couple times with a solid v-neck in my hand at the store but stopped myself and thought, "no more solids"!! For St Patricks Day, my friend Heather and I wanted to wear something green.  We went to Target and searched but I didn't really see anything that caught my eye.  As she dropped me off at home, I told her I knew I had a green shirt and I would text her a picture.  I had 6 plain green shirts!  Granted they were all different shades but that is a little ridiculous! As you can see, it was time to downsize my wardrobe.
One thing I  have been trying to do is incorporate jewelry into my outfits.  I think it makes everything look put together better and almost gives me a more finished look.  Also, for some reason, whenever I wear jewelry I feel more dressed up and I must say, I like the feeling!  I have a a cute little necklace hanger on the wall in my bedroom and that really helps me to remember them to have them in plain sight.  However, I keep my earrings and bracelets in a drawer.  I never think to take a look at them and so they rarely get worn.  I've been trying to make a conscious effort to remember to wear these.  Today, I chose this bracelet to go with my black shirt:

I'm not sure yet how I feel about the black ribbon that came with it but I can always take it off.  At first, it was a little hard to get used to typing at work with it on but I really liked what it added to my outfit.  I felt like it made it not appear quite so boring. 
I was looking at the Target website and came across this jewelry holder.  Its not very expensive and I thought it would be a cute way to display the rest of my jewelry on top of my dresser without making it look cluttered.  I haven't completely decided if I for sure want to buy it though so I think I'm going to wait until after I get back from my cruise to decide.  That way I will have more time to think about it. It can be found: here.

Where do you normally display your jewelry?  Are you like me where if its tucked away you forget about it?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment